A Greeting To Spring
Hail to the woods once more! Hail blessed burst of the spring tide!
Float over fathomless blue the fair white clouds on the zenith:
Breathes once more the balmier air, all nature stirring.
Spread profuse on the bank where I walk, the glorious mosses
Broider their winter's green with fresh spring lining of gold--work,
Carpet of softest pile. Not loom of Persian Sultan
Rains from its shuttle such light, alternately passing and passing.
Primrose--flecked beneath, the valley under the branches
Stretches away, till the gleaming trunks give place in the distance
To the rich purple brown of the winter trees in the sunlight.
Booming around me the bee, in swells and falls alternate,
Joins his hum to the chorus of larks that hang in the aether
Poised in the spaces of blue, and fill all nature with music.
Henry Alford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Greeting To Spring by Henry Alford )
- A Rich Man's World, Fareez Nasir
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #4, Brian Johnston
- Dandelion Dreams, Richard D. Remler
- गोजाननि खौरां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Let us believe, hasmukh amathalal
- Christmas Again, Katherine Nordhaus
- Money, Katherine Nordhaus
- Older, Frank Avon
- A question to seasons, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Languid leman, Melikhaya Zagagana
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Pulse of Morning, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)