A eulogy for Anna
My daughter is also my daughter-in-law
She qualified as a solicitor last week
Adamant defender of human rights
But fierce opponent of human wrongs
Her life marked so far by occasions
In which she has shone for
Her stand for the right,
Her strength of character
As when she walked out
On the Headmaster of her Public School
Appalled at the way he had treated her
She had no hesitation in giving up
Her status as a Prefect and
Deputy Head of House
Putting first what she saw to be right
And leaving said Headmaster speechless
Happy also to take part in demonstrations
Against Britain’s invasion of Iraq
How will her career develop?
What issue will define it?
The world waits with bated breath.
James Hart's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A eulogy for Anna by James Hart )
- Las Mariposas (the Butterflies), John F. McCullagh
- Hindsight coloured, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Practise dispassion., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Reichsbank Gold, Paul Hartal
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- The lost bliss, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sonnet: Christmas,2014(Advance Greetings), Dr John Celes
- Thread of Communication, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Harold Shipman's Crime, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
- Thank You KP, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Lament for Zenocrate, Christopher Marlowe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)