A Curse Against Elegies
Oh, love, why do we argue like this?
I am tired of all your pious talk.
Also, I am tired of all the dead.
They refuse to listen,
so leave them alone.
Take your foot out of the graveyard,
they are busy being dead.
Everyone was always to blame:
the last empty fifth of booze,
the rusty nails and chicken feathers
that stuck in the mud on the back doorstep,
the worms that lived under the cat's ear
and the thin-lipped preacher
who refused to call
except once on a flea-ridden day
when he came scuffing in through the yard
looking for a scapegoat.
I hid in the kitchen under the ragbag.
I refuse to remember the dead.
And the dead are bored with the whole thing.
But you - you go ahead,
go on, go on back down
into the graveyard,
lie down where you think their faces are;
talk back to your old bad dreams.
Anne Sexton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Curse Against Elegies by Anne Sexton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Are You Okay?, Michael P. McParland
- Are You Mad At Me?, Michael P. McParland
- Anyone But You?, Michael P. McParland
- Another Year, Michael P. McParland
- Another Wish, Michael P. McParland
- Cop Killers and Killer Cops, Is It Poetry
- Another Night (Off To Sleep), Michael P. McParland
- Another Day, Michael P. McParland
- Hands on Hips, Mae AC.
- Hands in Pockets, Mae AC.