A bull imprisoned in a stall
Broke boldly the confining wall,
And found himself, when out of bounds,
Within a washerwoman's grounds.
Where, hanging on a line to dry,
A crimson skirt inflamed his eye.
With bellowings that woke the dead,
He bent his formidable head,
With pointed horns and gnarly forehead;
Then, planting firm his shoulders horrid,
Began, with rage made half insane,
To paw the arid earth amain,
Flinging the dust upon his flanks
In desolating clouds and banks,
The while his eyes' uneasy white
Betrayed his doubt what foe the bright
Red tent concealed, perchance, from sight.
The garment, which, all undismayed,
Had never paled a single shade,
Now found a tongue-a dangling sock,
Left carelessly inside the smock:
'I must insist, my gracious liege,
That you'll be pleased to raise the siege:
My colors I will never strike.
I know your sex-you're all alike.
Some small experience I've had
You're not the first I've driven mad.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Challenge by Ambrose Bierce )
Did you read them?
- Diya (Reposted), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Life is better shared, belinda mrwebi
- What Is It?, Leloudia Migdali
- Wald, Paola Degli Esposti
- Sex Ed, Betsy Sholl
- Creamer Quest, Antonio Liao
- O For a Thousand Tongues, Betsy Sholl
- What I Can Say: To My Sisters, Betsy Sholl
- Rush Hour, Betsy Sholl
- Numeracy**, Neil Young
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Everything, Anna Akhmatova
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 June 1911 – 14 August 2004)
(1886 - 1967)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)