John Thorkild Ellison
A Bird of Ill Omen
I wandered lonely in the crowd,
Bereft of rhyme or reason,
A jackdaw whispered in my ear
'You will be hung for Treason! '
I ate a meal of nine inch nails
To satisfy my hunger,
It's a recipe that never fails,
Learnt from an ironmonger;
And then I drank some creosote
To quench my raging thirst -
Some people die when they drink that
So I wouldn't be the first!
And still the jackdaw followed me
And spoke about my death,
I shuddered at his prophecy,
Becoming short of breath.
He laughed and croaked so merrily
And settled on my shoulder,
He said that time was running out,
I wouldn't get much older!
'Leave me alone! Please go away! '
I shouted in my fear,
But still he laughed though silently
He shed a single tear.
Then suddenly there was a bang,
I woke up from my dream.
'Are you alright? ' the neighbour said,
'I heard an awful scream! '
John Thorkild Ellison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Bird of Ill Omen by John Thorkild Ellison )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- A Dance Is A Poem Gesturted Through, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Salvage, appiah japheth
- Sitting In The Park, Paul Gerard Reed
- I wish for peace and not war pieces, Juwon Daniel
- Life is more than anything else, gajanan mishra
- DJ, The Making of A DJ, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Innocent heart, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I'll Be Here, Michael P. McParland
- Kitchen Charade, Nicole C Esbach
- &, Nicole C Esbach