Miguel Hernandez Poems
- Elegy Friend of my soul, I want to be the tearful gardener ...
- To The International Soldier F...
- First Song The field has retreated, seeing man's ...
- Everything Is Full Of You Everything is full of you and I ...
- Lullaby Of The Onion An onion is frost shut in and ...
- The World Is As It Appears The world is as it appears ...
- Bloody Fate I come, blood on blood, like the sea, wave on ...
Miguel Hernández (30 October 1910 - 28 March 1942), born in Orihuela (Valencian Community), was a leading 20th century Spanish poet and playwright.
Hernández was born to a poor family and received little formal education; he published his first book of poetry at 23, and gained considerable fame before his death. He spent his childhood as a goatherd and farmhand, and was, for the most ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Miguel Hernandez
Friend of my soul, I want to be
the tearful gardener of the earth
you occupy, and enrich, all too soon.
My grief without purpose feeding
the rain, the snail-shells and organs,
I’ll give your heart for food
to the desolate poppies.
Such sorrow gathers in my chest,
that I mourn with painful breath.
A harsh slap, an icy blow,
an invisible, murderous axe-stroke,
a brutal thrust has felled you.
There’s no expanse big enough for my hurt,
I weep for my misfortune and yours together
and I feel your death more than I do my life.
I walk on the tracks of the ...