Matthew Prior, poet and diplomat, was born near Wimborne Minster, Dorset. His family moved to London while he was still a child. He was educated at Westminister School, but was taken out when his father died and apprenticed to his uncle, a tavern-keeper. In 1680 he went to Cambridge on a scholarship from the Earl of Dorset and while there he co-wrote with Charles Montague, The Hind and the Panther Transversed to the Story of the Country and City Mouse (1687), a burlesque on Dryden's Hind and the Panther which cuts it down to size by making it absurd.
Prior held various diplomatic posts, and in 1700 entered parliament with the Tories. He was Ambassador at Paris when he was recalled... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Simile
- A Reasonable Affliction
- An Epitaph
- Gualterus Danistonus, Ad Amicos. - And I...
- An Ode
- To a Child of Quality, Five Years Old, t...
- A Song. If Wine And Music Have The Power
- A Letter to Lady Margaret Cavendish Holl...
- A Better Answer
- A Song. In Vain You Tell Your Parting Lo...
- On My Birthday, July 21
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In T...
- An Epistle. Desiring The Queen's Picture...
- An Ode - Humbly Inscribed To The Queen, ...
Comments about Matthew Prior
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)