Larry Levis (1946 - 1996 / California / United States)
Larry Levis was born in Fresno, California, on September 30, 1946. The son of a grape grower, he grew up driving a tractor, picking grapes, and pruning vines of Selma, California, a small fruit-growing town in the San Joaquin Valley. He later wrote of the farm, the vineyards, and the Mexican migrant workers that he worked alongside. He also remembered hanging out in the local billiards parlor on Selma's East Front Street, across from the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks.
Levis earned a bachelor's degree from Fresno State College (now California State University, Fresno) in 1968. He went on to earn a master's degree from Syracuse University in 1970 and a Ph.D. from the University ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Anastasia & Sandman
- As I move on with you
- As It Begins With A Brush Stroke On A Sn...
- Blue Stone
- Childhood Ideogram
- Elegy For Poe With The Music Of A Carniv...
- Elegy For Whatever Had A Pattern In It
- Elegy With A Bridle In Its Hand
- Elegy With A Chimneysweep Falling Inside...
- Family Romance
- For Zbigniew Herbert, Summer, 1971, Los ...
- In 1969
- In a Country