John Kendrick Bangs
John Kendrick Bangs Poems
- A Receipt For Happiness BEGIN the day with smiling eyes ; ...
- On File IF an unkind word appears, File the thing away. ...
- The Little Elf I met a little Elf-man, once, Down where the...
- Laughter WORRY stalked along the road, Trouble sneaking ...
- Sunlight ICE and snow are cold, I know Pain and sorrow too ...
- Philosophy IF there's no Sun, I still can have the Moon ; ...
- Blind SHOW me your God the doubter cries. I point him out ...
John Kendrick Bangs (May 27, 1862 – January 21, 1922) was an American author, editor and satirist.
He was born in Yonkers, New York. His father was a lawyer in New York City.
He went to Columbia University from 1880 to 1883 where he became editor of Columbia's literary magazine and contributed short anonymous pieces to humor magazines. After graduation in 1883, Bangs entered ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about John Kendrick Bangs
A Receipt For Happiness
BEGIN the day with smiling eyes ;
Pursue the day with smiling lips;
Through clouds perceive the smiling skies
Up where the smiling sunbeam trips.
Let smiling thoughts within your mind
Drive gloom and cold despair apart,
And promptings of a genial kind
Keep ever growing in your heart.
Meet trouble with a cheery mien,
Be jovial in the face of care
He routs all mischief from the scene
Who greets it with a jocund air.