Henry Vaughan Poems
- Peace 1 My Soul, there is a country 2 Afar ...
- Retirement Fresh fields and woods! the Earth's fair face, ...
- Regeneration 1. Award, and still in bonds, one day I ...
- Silence And Stealth Of Days Silence, and stealth of days! ...
- The World 1 I saw Eternity the other night, 2 Like a...
- I Walk'D The Other Day 1 I walk'd the other day, to ...
- The Water-Fall 1 With what deep murmurs through time's ...
Henry Vaughan was a Welsh physician and metaphysical poet.
Vaughan and his twin brother the hermetic philosopher and alchemist Thomas Vaughan, were the sons of Thomas Vaughan and his wife Denise (née Morgan) of 'Trenewydd', Newton, in Brecknockshire, Wales. Their grandfather, William, was the owner of Tretower Court.
Vaughan spent most of his life in the village of Llansantffraed, near Brecon, where he is also buried.
Both Henry and his twin Thomas were schooled locally by the rector of Llangattock (Crickhowell), the Rev. Matthew Herbert. This occupied six years preceding their attendance at Jesus College, Oxford, England in 1638. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
1 My Soul, there is a country
2 Afar beyond the stars,
3 Where stands a winged sentry
4 All skillful in the wars;
5 There, above noise and danger
6 Sweet Peace sits, crown'd with smiles,
7 And One born in a manger
8 Commands the beauteous files.
9 He is thy gracious friend
10 And (O my Soul awake!)
11 Did in pure love descend,
12 To die here for thy sake.
13 If thou canst get but thither,
14 There grows the flow'r of peace,
15 The rose that cannot wither,
16 Thy ...