Henry King was an English poet and bishop.
The eldest son of John King, Bishop of London, and his wife Joan Freeman, he was baptised at Worminghall, Buckinghamshire, 16 January 1592. He was educated at Lord Williams's School, Westminster School and in 1608 became a student of Christ Church, Oxford. With his brother John King he matriculated 20 January 1609, and was admitted (19 June 1611 and 7 July 1614) to the degrees of bachelor and master of arts. On 24 January 1616 he was collated to the prebend of St. Pancras in St. Paul's Cathedral, receiving at the same time the office of penitentiary or confessor in the cathedral, together with the rectory and patronage of... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Contemplation upon Flowers
- The Exequy
- Exequy on his Wife
- A Renunciation
- Sic Vita
- AN ELEGY Upon the most victorious King o...
- AN ELEGY Upon my Best Friend L. K. C.
- Loves Harvest
- An Epitaph on Niobe turned to Stone
- Being waked out of my sleep by a snuff o...
- AN ELEGY Upon the most Incomparable K. C...
- A Penitential Hymne
- Another of the same, paraphrased for an ...
- By occasion of the Young Prince his happ...
Comments about Henry King
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)