Henry Howard [Earl of Surrey] (1517 – 19 January 1547 / Norfolk)
Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey KG was an English aristocrat, and one of the founders of English Renaissance poetry.
He was the eldest son of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, and his second wife, the former Lady Elizabeth Stafford (daughter of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham), so he was descended from kings on both sides of his family tree. He was reared at Windsor with Henry VIII's illegitimate son Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Richmond and Somerset, and they became close friends and, later, brothers-in-law. He became Earl of Surrey in 1524 when his grandfather died and his father became Duke of Norfolk.
In 1532 he accompanied his first ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A CARELESS MAN SCORNING AND DESCRIBING T...
- A CONSTANT LOVER LAMENTETH.
- A Praise of His Love
- A Satire against the citizens of London
- A SONG WRITTEN BY THE EARL OF SURREY
- A VOW TO LOVE FAITHFULLY, HOWSOEVER HE B...
- Alas! So All Things Now Do Hold Their Pe...
- AN ANSWER IN THE BEHALF OF A WOMAN.
- AN EPITAPH ON CLERE, SURREY'S FAITHFUL F...
- Brittle Beauty
- Certain Books Of Virgil's AEneis: Book I...
- COMPLAINT OF A DYING LOVER
- Complaint of a Lover that Defied Love
- Complaint Of The Absence Of Her Lover Be...