Henry Francis Lyte
Henry Francis Lyte Poems
- God Of Mercy, God Of Grace God of mercy, God of grace, Show...
- Abide With Me Abide with us: for it is towards evening, ...
- A Lost Love I meet thy pensive, moonlight face; Thy ...
- Far From My Heavenly Home Far from my heavenly home, Far ...
- There Is A Safe And Secret Pla... There is a safe and secret ...
- Praise, My Soul, The King Of H... Praise, my soul, the King...
- When At Thy Footstool, Lord, I... When at Thy footstool, ...
Henry Francis Lyte was a Scottish Anglican divine and hymn-writer.
Henry Francis Lyte was born to Thomas and Anna Maria Lyte on a farm at Ednam, near Kelso, Scotland. Thomas deserted the family shortly after making arrangements for his two oldest sons to attend Portora Royal School in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh; and Anna moved to London, where both she and her youngest son died.
The headmaster at Portora, Dr. Robert Burrowes, recognized Henry Lyte's ability, paid the boy’s fees, and "welcomed him into his own family during the holidays." Lyte was effectively an adopted son.
After studying at ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Henry Francis Lyte
God Of Mercy, God Of Grace
God of mercy, God of grace,
Show the brightness of Thy face:
Shine upon us, Saviour, shine,
Fill Thy church with light Divine;
And Thy saving health extend,
Unto earth's remotest end.
Let Thy people praise Thee, Lord;
Be by all that live adored;
Let the nations shout and sing,
Glory to their Saviour King;
At Thy feet their tributes pay,
And Thy holy will obey.
Let the people praise Thee, Lord;
Earth shall then her fruits afford;
God to man His blessing give,
Man to God devoted live;
All below, and all above,
One in joy, ...