Erik Johan Stagnelius
Erik Johan Stagnelius Poems
- Friend In The Desolate Time Friend, in the desolate time, ...
- Nacken - Water Demon The evening is festooned with golden ...
- O Camp Of Flowers O camp of flowers, with poplars girdled ...
- Luna Deep slumber hung o'er sea and hill and plain; ...
- Eternity Up through the ruins of my earthly dreams I ...
- Memory O camp of flowers, with poplars girdled round, ...
Erik Johan Stagnelius was a Romantic poet and playwright.
1810 to 1840 was a blossoming time in Swedish poetry, and there were several writers of distinguished merit, among them Esaias Tegnér, Erik Gustaf Geijer, Per Daniel Amadeus Atterbom and Erik Johan Stagnelius. The brief and mysterious life and death of Erik Johan Stagnelius have given a romantic interest to all that is connected with his name.
His father was a vicar on Öland, later on biskop in Kalmar on the nearby main land, which likely influenced Stagnelius spiritual thinking. He came from a large family. Stagnelius showed a natural gift for poetic writing from an early childhood. He took his ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Erik Johan Stagnelius
Friend In The Desolate Time
Friend, in the desolate time, when your soul is enshrouded in darkness
When, in a deep abyss, memory and feeling die out,
Intellect timidly gropes among shadowy forms and illusions
Heart can no longer sigh, eye is unable to weep;
When, from your night-clouded soul the wings of fire have fallen
And you, to nothing, afraid, feel yourself sinking once more,
Say, who rescues you then?—Who is the comforting angel
Brings to your innermost soul order and beauty again,
Building once more your fragmented world, restoring the fallen
Altar, and when it is raised,...