Delmore Schwartz was born December 8, 1913, in Brooklyn to Romanian immigrant parents. Their marriage however failed and this affected him all his life.
Inspite of his unhappy and unsettled childhood though he was was a gifted and intellectual young student. He enrolled early at Columbia University, and also studied at the University of Wisconsin, eventually receiving his bachelor's degree in 1935 in philosophy from New York University.
In 1936 he won the Bowdoin Prize in the Humanities for his essay Poetry as Imitation. In 1937 his short story In Dreams Begin Responsibilities was published in Partisan Review a left wing magazine.The ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Calmly We Walk Through This April's Day
- The Heavy Bear Who Goes With Me
- All Night, All Night
- A Dream Of Whitman Paraphrased, Recogniz...
- Poem (In the morning, when it was rainin...
- America, America!
- At This Moment Of Time
- In The Naked Bed, In Plato's Cave
- The Choir And Music Of Solitude And Sile...
- For The One Who Would Not Take His Life ...
- Albert Einstein To Archibald Macleish
- A Young Child And His Pregnant Mother
- In The Slight Ripple, The Mind Perceives...
- For The One Who Would Take Man's Life In...
Comments about Delmore Schwartz
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)