- The Annunciation To Mary In that land there lived a ...
- John’s Messengers Come To Jesu... When he had been put in ...
- The Annunciation To Zachary Now shall we with the powers of ...
- John Grows Up Now the child grew, it is true, until he ...
- The Birth Of John The Baptist Then the woman got up and ...
- John Is Executed In those times there occurred Herod’s ...
- John Is Arrested Two princes then there were who wielded ...
The poet Ava (c. 1060 – 7 February 1127), also known as Frau Ava, Ava of Göttweig or Ava of Melk, was the first named female writer in any genre in the German language.
Ava was married and had two sons (Hartmann and Heinrich), who were probably clerics and helped their mother with her Middle High German religious poems, written in rhyming couplets; she refers to them at ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Annunciation To Mary
In that land there lived a maiden
—to us it has been often said—
this woman’s ancestry
was of faultless lineage:
she was born from Jesse’s stem.
Thereafter she became God’s nursing mother
in maiden purity,
something that no woman had ever been.
Truly after these events,
in the sixth month,
the angel was sent,
Gabriel the warrior,
to the town of Nazareth,
as it is written here,
to the queen
who is the glory of all women.
When the angel went in,
this is how he began;