Anne Waldman Poems
- Fast Speaking Woman [excerpt] woman never under your thumb, ...
- Manatee/Humanity [excerpt] in the ritual they said cast your ...
- Matriot Acts, Act I [history O...
- Scallop Song I wore a garland of the briar that put me now in...
- Baby's Pantoum I lie in my crib midday this is unusual I ...
- Attenuate The Loss And Find name appears everywhere and in ...
- A Phonecall From Frank O'Hara I was living in San Francisco ...
Anne Waldman (born April 2, 1945) is an American poet. Since the 1960s, Waldman has been an active member of the Outrider experimental poetry community as a writer, performer, collaborator, professor, editor, scholar, and cultural/political activist. She has also been connected to the Beat poets.
Born in Millville, New Jersey, Waldman only lived in New Jersey very briefly. She was raised on MacDougal Street in New York City's Greenwich Village, and received her B.A. from Bennington College in 1966. During the 1960s, Waldman became part of the East Coast poetry scene, in part through her engagement with the poets and artists loosely termed the Second Generation of the New York School. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Anne Waldman
Fast Speaking Woman [excerpt]
woman never under your thumb, says
skull that was a head, says
bloodshot eyes, says
I'm the Kali woman the killer woman
women with salt on her tongue
fire that cleans
fire that catches
fire burns hotter as I go
woman traded her secrets never, says
woman reversed the poles, says
woman never left America to know this
but she did, says, she did leave
woman combs snakes out of her hair
woman combs demons out of her hair
woman lies down with the cobra
then meditates under cobra canopy
woman had a bone in her throat, says
was it yours? ...