Afanasy Afanasyevich Fet
With One Firm Thrust
With one firm thrust to force the boat of living
From off the sands, and, by a wave tossed high,
Be toward a new life borne, a new beginning,
To feel the wind from scented shores sweep nigh,
To wake from torpid sleep a mind turned sluggish,
To revel in the strange and the unknown,
To lend fresh breath to life, and joy to anguish,
To make another's cares and griefs your own,
To speak of things it numbs the tongue to utter,
To fire the timid heart that fierce 'tmay pound -
This can the chosen songsmith do, no other,
And 'tis for this that he is known and crowned!
Afanasy Afanasyevich Fet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (With One Firm Thrust by Afanasy Afanasyevich Fet )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- haikindof, Mandolyn ...
- Are You Pissed Yet, Francie Lynch
- Mirror (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- make mine extra crispy, Mandolyn ...
- ~Death Of My Creations~, Allan Gerard
- looking for the button that will make me.., Mandolyn ...
- Captivations of an Art Form, F. J. Thomas
- Me Without You Is Like, Lilly Emery
- Nature's Path, Joy Cordwell
- Choices, Danielle Dessels