My abuelita told me a story
where a trail of breadcrumbs led a brother and sister back home.
You left a trail of yourself in the form of memories
that I’m afraid to follow
in case you might end up being home
because I gave the key back
and even though you keep one under the mat,
I’d never show my face near your house again.
There’s a map of how to get around
the only problem is
(I think I lost it some time in June)
the commute is a lot longer
and I fell into the habit
of using you as navigation.
My father taught me
how to use the sky to know
which direction I was going in
and to estimate the time.
'You’ll never be lost
if you just let the world tell you where you’re going, ”
he told me once.
What happens when you get bonked on the head
and the dizziness mixes up east and west
and tells you the wrong hour, switching AM and PM?
This is where the sidewalk ends,
where the breadcrumbs fall short,
and I am too far from you (and everyone) to call for help.
This is where I make my path and build
a home of my own.
Sammi Ama's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trailblazing by Sammi Ama )
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
- Can This Be My Mistake, Luis Estable
- He was a carpenter. He worked with wood., Royston Allen
- An Open Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.54, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.53, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.52, Monk E. Biz
- That Kid Is Me, Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)