My abuelita told me a story
where a trail of breadcrumbs led a brother and sister back home.
You left a trail of yourself in the form of memories
that I’m afraid to follow
in case you might end up being home
because I gave the key back
and even though you keep one under the mat,
I’d never show my face near your house again.
There’s a map of how to get around
the only problem is
(I think I lost it some time in June)
the commute is a lot longer
and I fell into the habit
of using you as navigation.
My father taught me
how to use the sky to know
which direction I was going in
and to estimate the time.
'You’ll never be lost
if you just let the world tell you where you’re going, ”
he told me once.
What happens when you get bonked on the head
and the dizziness mixes up east and west
and tells you the wrong hour, switching AM and PM?
This is where the sidewalk ends,
where the breadcrumbs fall short,
and I am too far from you (and everyone) to call for help.
This is where I make my path and build
a home of my own.
Sammi Ama's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trailblazing by Sammi Ama )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- WATER MUSIC, I. _ ['Musiche sull'Acqua'.., Fabrizio Frosini
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- My other half, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bird's View - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- motherly love, Candymarie Nevin
- Random Thought, fletcher maddern
- Still Awake 2, Michael P. McParland
- Esprit de corps, Naveed Khalid
- Escaping Home, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Enjoying Conversations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- How Long A Breath of Moment Be...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Communicating Through Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak