Lord John Wilmot
To His Mistress
Why dost thou shade thy lovely face? O why
Does that eclipsing hand of thine deny
The sunshine of the Sun's enlivening eye?
Without thy light what light remains in me?
Thou art my life; my way, my light's in thee;
I live, I move, and by thy beams I see.
Thou art my life-if thou but turn away
My life's a thousand deaths. Thou art my way-
Without.thee, Love, I travel not but stray.
My light thou art-without thy glorious sight
My eyes are darken'd with eternal night.
My Love, thou art my way, my life, my light.
Thou art my way; I wander if thou fly.
Thou art my light; if hid, how blind am I!
Thou art my life; if thou withdraw'st, I die.
My eyes are dark and blind, I cannot see:
To whom or whither should my darkness flee,
But to that light?-and who's that light but thee?
If I have lost my path, dear lover, say,
Shall I still wander in a doubtful way?
Love, shall a lamb of Israel's sheepfold stray?
My path is lost, my wandering steps do stray;
I cannot go, nor can I safely stay;
Whom should I seek but thee, my path, my way?
And yet thou turn'st thy face away and fly'st me!
And yet I sue for grace and thou deny'st me!
Speak, art thou angry, Love, or only try'st me?
Thou art the pilgrim's path, the blind man's eye,
The dead man's life. On thee my hopes rely:
If I but them remove, I surely die.
Dissolve thy sunbeams, close thy wings and stay!
See, see how I am blind, and dead, and stray!
-O thou art my life, my light, my way!
Then work thy will! If passion bid me flee,
My reason shall obey, my wings shall be
Stretch'd out no farther than from me to thee!
Lord John Wilmot's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To His Mistress by Lord John Wilmot )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD?, Ray Lucero
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Poetry Heaven, Kim Barney
- Thank You My Love, Margaret Alice Second
- My Dream, Michael P. McParland
- joshua trees hopping in the trunk of the.., Mandolyn ...
- my lovely lovely wife, Rasheed Alqahas
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White
- Eric Gone Postal, Eve White
- Half-Breed or Racist, Eve White
- (Rock ballad) Hold on and letting go, Putri Misnia Shary Bahri (Sh ..
- Road Kill, Liilia Talts Morrison