John Le Gay Brereton
Stupidity and Selfishness and Fear,
Who hold enslaved the intellect of Man,
Have found their victims here.
We saw them go, alert to seek the van
Where phantom Glory showered her withering leaves;
Now they return who can.
Slowly, full-fraught with pain, the vessel heaves
From labouring seas, and creeps along the bay
To where the city grieves.
Happy are those who limp the dusty way;
And those whose eyes can meet the loving glance,
Happy indeed are they.
But mock them not with babble of romance:
They have glared at death across the orient rocks
Or in the mire of France.
O welcome to your land of herds and flocks
And fields that pray toward a fairy sky
That promises and mocks.
Welcome! our eyes are strained and sorrow-dry,
Watching for peace and you, and every heart
Would fain, but cannot, cry.
For you who, led by love, have borne your part
Where war's black ploughshare turns the bloody sand
And crops of hatred start
For you and by your help, heroic band,
We swear by love and labour to make this
A lovelier, worthier land.
Nor shall we let the home-bred serpent hiss
Unscotched upon our hearth, if ever here
Our hope and fortune kiss.
The workers of the battered world draw near,
Scorning a foeman's name. The heart of Man
In every land is dear.
John Le Gay Brereton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wounded by John Le Gay Brereton )
- ABSENCE OF LOVE, Ali Faisal
- Black Friar, Naveed Khalid
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 구로오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ구로오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- She looked a million dollars, Erato
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- From the Lives of My Friends, Michael Dickman
- WHENEVER A LIFE IS TAKEN, Ali Faisal
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- For Some Slight I Can't Quite Recall, Ross Gay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Samra, Said Akl
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Bright Star, John Keats
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)