John Le Gay Brereton
Stupidity and Selfishness and Fear,
Who hold enslaved the intellect of Man,
Have found their victims here.
We saw them go, alert to seek the van
Where phantom Glory showered her withering leaves;
Now they return who can.
Slowly, full-fraught with pain, the vessel heaves
From labouring seas, and creeps along the bay
To where the city grieves.
Happy are those who limp the dusty way;
And those whose eyes can meet the loving glance,
Happy indeed are they.
But mock them not with babble of romance:
They have glared at death across the orient rocks
Or in the mire of France.
O welcome to your land of herds and flocks
And fields that pray toward a fairy sky
That promises and mocks.
Welcome! our eyes are strained and sorrow-dry,
Watching for peace and you, and every heart
Would fain, but cannot, cry.
For you who, led by love, have borne your part
Where war's black ploughshare turns the bloody sand
And crops of hatred start
For you and by your help, heroic band,
We swear by love and labour to make this
A lovelier, worthier land.
Nor shall we let the home-bred serpent hiss
Unscotched upon our hearth, if ever here
Our hope and fortune kiss.
The workers of the battered world draw near,
Scorning a foeman's name. The heart of Man
In every land is dear.
John Le Gay Brereton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wounded by John Le Gay Brereton )
- A pair of eyes, Cigeng Zhang
- Dying In The Truth, Dexsta Ray
- The Purple Ant, Bhargabi Dei Mahakul
- Just For Me, Elia Michael
- A Sad Bird, Rohit Sapra
- we are a perfect promenade, Mandolyn ...
- When Love Opened The Door, Lora Colon
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As Soon as Fred Gets Out of Bed, Jack Prelutsky
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)