Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy
You were askin' 'ow we sticks it,
Sticks this blarsted rain and mud,
'Ow it is we keeps on smilin'
When the place runs red wi' blood.
Since you're askin' I can tell ye,
And I thinks I tells ye true,
But it ain't official, mind ye,
It's a tip twixt me and you.
For the General thinks it's tactics,
And the bloomin' plans 'e makes.
And the C.O. thinks it's trainin',
And the trouble as he takes.
Sergeant-Major says it's drillin',
And 'is straffin' on parade,
Doctor swears it's sanitation,
And some patent stinks 'e's made.
Padre tells us its religion,
And the Spirit of the Lord;
But I ain't got much religion,
And I sticks it still, by Gawd.
Quarters kids us it's the rations,
And the dinners as we gets.
But I knows what keeps us smilin'
It's the Woodbine Cigarettes.
For the daytime seems more dreary,
And the night-time seems to drag
To eternity of darkness,
When ye ave'nt got a fag.
Then the rain seems some'ow wetter,
And the cold cuts twice as keen,
And ye keeps on seein' Boches,
What the Sargint 'asn't seen.
If ole Fritz 'as been and got ye,
And ye 'ave to stick the pain,
If ye 'aven't got a fag on,
Why it 'urts as bad again.
When there ain't no fags to pull at,
Then there's terror in the ranks.
That's the secret – (yes, I'll 'ave one)
Just a fag – and many Tanks.
Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Secret by Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy )
- The Portrait, Edward Kofi Louis
- Taught By Nature, Edward Kofi Louis
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 시흥오피 시화오피걸의 모든것 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM, sibngnu4 sibngnu4
- L.Messi 오피뷰 시흥오피 KTwiz 시화오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu4 sibngnu4
- WHY DOES LOVING YOU FEEL SO WRONG, Mpho Wordsworth Leteng
- Serve Me With Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Dorian, Edward Kofi Louis
- Alexi, Edward Kofi Louis
- L.Messi 오피뷰 부산오피 KTwiz 분당오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu4 sibngnu4
- The well of Secrets, Kenneth Maswabi
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Angel, William Blake
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Drummer Hodge, Thomas Hardy
- Bright Star, John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1895 - 1985)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)