Joseph S. Josephides
We are the reapers of the liberty,
the plain of Messara is our yard, our school.
Our sweat earns for us our breathing,
our axes fear no canon to gain bread fairly.
We march, as one soul, standstill neck, our eyes
watch-towers, we’re as protecting lions of Knossos.
We march singing the victory in sistro’s rhythm,
the scythes over our shoulders, hands and wings
with lutes and violins, larynx of stentorian a voice,
we march towards death, singing for the life.
We march to free the slaves from the jail of cowards,
in the front side of the moon, so that you trust us,
that we are not making poisons in the unseen side.
We acquire honest weapons, scythes and axes.
Which cunning one would disarm our soul and dare
to chain us in golden fetters and call us ‘master’?
We march for the humble bread, the holy communion,
the oxygen of Psiloritis, the echo of our wise who say:
‘Our bread means freedom, our blood is our sweat
for sowing, for the few a harmless man needs to live,
for filling our house with wheat; the air is our song.’
So, come to march - the lion of Knossos protects us -
let us walk and sing for the truth and harvest: ten saints
we have, a hundred of reapers, a thousand of contestants.
Joseph S. Josephides's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Reapers by Joseph S. Josephides )
- Good deed, Suresh Dogra
- Problems, maria sudibyo
- Free!, maria sudibyo
- Angst, maria sudibyo
- OTP (One True Pairing), maria sudibyo
- Lost, zheung kyuhkoh
- Fall down, lonely, zheung kyuhkoh
- Mission: Fission Or Fusion, Aftab Alam
- My broken heart Transcends, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Red face, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)