The Quiet Eye
THE ORB I like is not the one
That dazzles with its lightning gleam;
That dares to look upon the sun,
As though it challenged brighter beam.
That orb may sparkle, flash, and roll;
Its fire may blaze, its shaft may fly;
But not for me: I prize the soul
That slumbers in a quiet eye.
There ’s something in its placid shade
That tells of calm, unworldly thought;
Hope may be crown’d, or joy delay’d—
No dimness steals, no ray is caught.
Its pensive language seems to say,
“I know that I must close and die;”
And death itself, come when it may,
Can hardly change the quiet eye.
There ’s meaning in its steady glance,
Of gentle blame or praising love,
That makes me tremble to advance
A word, that meaning might reprove.
The haughty threat, the fiery look,
My spirit proudly can defy,
But never yet could meet and brook
The upbraiding of a quiet eye.
There ’s firmness in its even light,
That augurs of a breast sincere:
And, oh! take watch how ye excite
That firmness till it yield a tear.
Some bosoms give an easy sigh,
Some drops of grief will freely start,
But that which sears the quiet eye
Hath its deep fountain in the heart.
Eliza Cook's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Quiet Eye by Eliza Cook )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(September 16, 1925 – August 22, 2011)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Forgiveness, Eugene Latumbo
- Wrapping Paper, Bows, and You, Nika McGuin
- The imperfect world, Cyrus Shaftang
- Marriage, Marlin Nightingale
- Ruins الاطلال, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Your eyes, Leong Ming Loong
- Studentship., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Knowing the Truth, Nika McGuin
- I write, Nassy Fesharaki
- Assuredly بالتأكيد, MOHAMMAD SKATI