The Quiet Eye
THE ORB I like is not the one
That dazzles with its lightning gleam;
That dares to look upon the sun,
As though it challenged brighter beam.
That orb may sparkle, flash, and roll;
Its fire may blaze, its shaft may fly;
But not for me: I prize the soul
That slumbers in a quiet eye.
There ’s something in its placid shade
That tells of calm, unworldly thought;
Hope may be crown’d, or joy delay’d—
No dimness steals, no ray is caught.
Its pensive language seems to say,
“I know that I must close and die;”
And death itself, come when it may,
Can hardly change the quiet eye.
There ’s meaning in its steady glance,
Of gentle blame or praising love,
That makes me tremble to advance
A word, that meaning might reprove.
The haughty threat, the fiery look,
My spirit proudly can defy,
But never yet could meet and brook
The upbraiding of a quiet eye.
There ’s firmness in its even light,
That augurs of a breast sincere:
And, oh! take watch how ye excite
That firmness till it yield a tear.
Some bosoms give an easy sigh,
Some drops of grief will freely start,
But that which sears the quiet eye
Hath its deep fountain in the heart.
Eliza Cook's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Quiet Eye by Eliza Cook )
- The midnight scream, Harold R Hunt Sr
- It calls your name., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Dogs, Cinzia Wills
- Interminable Wanderer, Cinzia Wills
- The Sky, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That part of your heart, Rolfy Dsilva
- The letter puzzle., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I am Sorry, Md. Ziaul Haque
- If it wasn't for country music, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Really Can't…, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)