Land lies in water; it is shadowed green.
Shadows, or are they shallows, at its edges
showing the line of long sea-weeded ledges
where weeds hang to the simple blue from green.
Or does the land lean down to lift the sea from under,
drawing it unperturbed around itself?
Along the fine tan sandy shelf
is the land tugging at the sea from under?
The shadow of Newfoundland lies flat and still.
Labrador's yellow, where the moony Eskimo
has oiled it. We can stroke these lovely bays,
under a glass as if they were expected to blossom,
or as if to provide a clean cage for invisible fish.
The names of seashore towns run out to sea,
the names of cities cross the neighboring mountains
-the printer here experiencing the same excitement
as when emotion too far exceeds its cause.
These peninsulas take the water between thumb and finger
like women feeling for the smoothness of yard-goods.
Mapped waters are more quiet than the land is,
lending the land their waves' own conformation:
and Norway's hare runs south in agitation,
profiles investigate the sea, where land is.
Are they assigned, or can the countries pick their colors?
-What suits the character or the native waters best.
Topography displays no favorites; North's as near as West.
More delicate than the historians' are the map-makers' colors.
Elizabeth Bishop's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Map by Elizabeth Bishop )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Cinderella's Table Cloth, mary douglas
- Mother Culture's Lullbye - The Culling S.., Joseph DeMarco
- A Parody, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Prayer for the lost., David Lessard
- UGLY AGGRESSORS معتدون قبيحون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- SANDY AND MUSHMISH (THEY USED TO BE MY L.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Scarecrow Not Quite Dissolving By Orange.., mary douglas
- WHO ARE WE? من نحن ؟, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We Complain, Sandra Feldman
- Trapped Inside This Head Of Mine, david kush