We stood on the rented patio
While the party went on inside.
You knew the groom from college.
I was a friend of the bride.
We hugged the brownstone wall behind us
To keep our dress clothes dry
And watched the sudden summer storm
Floodlit against the sky.
The rain was like a waterfall
Of brilliant beaded light,
Cool and silent as the stars
The storm hid from the night.
To my surprise, you took my arm–
A gesture you didn't explain–
And we spoke in whispers, as if we two
Might imitate the rain.
Then suddenly the storm receded
As swiftly as it came.
The doors behind us opened up.
The hostess called your name.
I watched you merge into the group,
Aloof and yet polite.
We didn't speak another word
Except to say goodnight.
Why does that evening's memory
Return with this night's storm–
A party twenty years ago,
Its disappointments warm?
There are so many might have beens,
What ifs that won't stay buried,
Other cities, other jobs,
Strangers we might have married.
And memory insists on pining
For places it never went,
As if life would be happier
Just by being different.
Dana Gioia's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Summer Storm by Dana Gioia )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Again, Joseph Archer
- the business of cuisine, oskar hansen
- For You And I, Edward Kofi Louis
- Crucifixion of th' Soul..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Beware Of Mankind, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bigtha, Edward Kofi Louis
- Love Me Girl, Joseph Archer
- One Christmas Eve From The North..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Neryah, Edward Kofi Louis
- Feels Sorry, Sari Mavi