Dame Edith Louisa Sitwell
Solo For Ear-Trumpet
The carriage brushes through the bright
Leaves (violent jets from life to light);
Strong polished speed is plunging, heaves
Between the showers of bright hot leaves
The window-glasses glaze our faces
And jar them to the very basis —
But they could never put a polish
Upon my manners or abolish
My most distinct disinclination
For calling on a rich relation!
In her house — (bulwark built between
The life man lives and visions seen) —
The sunlight hiccups white as chalk,
Grown drunk with emptiness of talk,
And silence hisses like a snake —
Invertebrate and rattling ache….
Then suddenly Eternity
Drowns all the houses like a sea
And down the street the Trump of Doom
Blares madly — shakes the drawing-room
Where raw-edged shadows sting forlorn
As dank dark nettles. Down the horn
Of her ear-trumpet I convey
The news that 'It is Judgment Day!'
'Speak louder: I don't catch, my dear.'
I roared: 'It is the Trump we hear!'
'The What?' 'THE TRUMP!' 'I shall complain!
…. the boy-scouts practising again.'
Dame Edith Louisa Sitwell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Solo For Ear-Trumpet by Dame Edith Louisa Sitwell )
- Invention of The Store, douglas scotney
- AA, Vera Sidhwa
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- XVII (I do not love you...), Pablo Neruda
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)