Smoking (Ashes to Ashes)
Do they really need a nipple,
While they quaff their tipple.
Even though the barmaid tries’
She gets a cloud puffed in her eyes.
The smokers artificially mellow,
Whilst the curtains slowly yellow.
The sixty a day oaf coughs up his guts,
As into the tray he squeezes his butts.
I’ll giv ya a fag for one of ya jokes,
But ya’ll not gi’ me back one of yer yolks.
Even the high priced pisswater is only rented,
To help a lame mind be temporarily reinvented.
The stench is all around the pub,
Surely there’s another type of club.
Pickle your brains if ye must,
Even the earth’s got a feeble crust.
Old friends are fine for what they are,
But nicotine fumes keep them afar.
A glass or a fag in the hands will they always last,
Dominoes, Chess and Shuv hapenny were games of the past.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Smoking (Ashes to Ashes) by Charles McMullen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The CPI(M) Only Knows Its Men, Only See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- नोँनि थाखायनो आं मेगन मोदै जानांबाय सना, Bahadur Basumatary
- Many Third-class Men As University Teach.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Marvelous Floating Bookshop and Virt.., mary douglas
- So Many Things, Neela Nath
- Summer Rhapsody in Blue Raspberry Circa .., mary douglas
- An Oridnary Modern Girl Wearing A Rudrak.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- tear from a mans eye, Gregory Kelley
- Toss and Turn, David Munene wa Kimberly
- Tickle Blue, Prasad Natarajan