William F Dougherty
Sketch for Sanctuary in Elizabeth Park
(Neighborhood refuge for Wallace Stevens.)
Aficionados from Porlock prowl the park, *
Ransacking junipers for tell-tale tropes:
Exegetes in earnest vexing the ferns,
Fluttering mallards off the mocha pond,
Hot for fictive tablets of adagia,
Convinced only correlatives are real.
All ignore this warty toad, transmuted,
Revenant to provenance, my belly
Puffing a duple beat as blinks and whines
Tumble about my phonic snare, triggered
Tongue. Forget oboes, bassoons and mangos.
Here at the muddy center I am real.
*Porlock: Person from Porlock interrupted Coleridge's 'Kubla Khan';
hence, it remains only a fragment.
[A variation of this poem was Pub. in The Wallace Stevens Journal, Vol.23, No.2, pg.197]
William F Dougherty's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sketch for Sanctuary in Elizabeth Park by William F Dougherty )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Recognizing Tempos, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sometimes an hour, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Cold Night In Silence, Lilly Emery
- The Possession of Love (Section 8 of Thi.., rajendran muthiah
- A BROKEN DREAM حلم مئطوش - حلم مكسور, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Valentine, mary douglas
- Remembering Her Worth, F. J. Thomas
- Tunnels, Mark Arvizu
- Stop, Is It Poetry
- O virgin chic..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL