Sir Henry Wotton
Sir Henry Wotton, and Serjeant Hoskins Riding On The Way
Ho. Noble, lovely, vertuous Creature,
Purposely so fram'd by Nature
To enthral your servants wits.
Wo. Time must now unite our hearts:
Not for any more deserts,
But because (me thinks) it fits.
Ho. Dearest treasure of my thought,
And yet wert thou to be bought
With my life, thou wert not dear.
Wo. Secret comfort of my mind,
Doubt no longer to be kind,
But be so and so appear.
Ho. Give me love for love again,
Let our loves be clear and plain,
Heaven is fairest, when 'tis clearest.
Wo. Lest in clouds, and in differring,
We resemble Seamen erring,
Farthest off, when we are nearest.
Ho. Thus with numbers interchanged,
Wotton's Muse and mine have ranged,
Verse and Journey both are spent.
Wo. And if Hoskins chance to say,
That we well have spent the day,
I, for my part, am content.
Sir Henry Wotton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sir Henry Wotton, and Serjeant Hoskins Riding On The Way by Sir Henry Wotton )
- Last Act of Penance, Andy Caldwell
- Look At This City, Lenny Orlando Camacho
- (1) I Accept for Now, She Doesn't Love Me, Uriah Hamilton
- Versatility is a unique quality!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Paper slip, hasmukh amathalal
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)