Sir Henry Wotton
Sir Henry Wotton, and Serjeant Hoskins Riding On The Way
Ho. Noble, lovely, vertuous Creature,
Purposely so fram'd by Nature
To enthral your servants wits.
Wo. Time must now unite our hearts:
Not for any more deserts,
But because (me thinks) it fits.
Ho. Dearest treasure of my thought,
And yet wert thou to be bought
With my life, thou wert not dear.
Wo. Secret comfort of my mind,
Doubt no longer to be kind,
But be so and so appear.
Ho. Give me love for love again,
Let our loves be clear and plain,
Heaven is fairest, when 'tis clearest.
Wo. Lest in clouds, and in differring,
We resemble Seamen erring,
Farthest off, when we are nearest.
Ho. Thus with numbers interchanged,
Wotton's Muse and mine have ranged,
Verse and Journey both are spent.
Wo. And if Hoskins chance to say,
That we well have spent the day,
I, for my part, am content.
Sir Henry Wotton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sir Henry Wotton, and Serjeant Hoskins Riding On The Way by Sir Henry Wotton )
- गोजाननि खौरां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Let us believe, hasmukh amathalal
- Christmas Again, Katherine Nordhaus
- Money, Katherine Nordhaus
- Older, Frank Avon
- A question to seasons, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Languid leman, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Tweet-tweet! I Visited a Hamlet with a G.., Harindhar Reddy
- PURITY OF SNOW., Terry Collett
- What If You Had No Beliefs? NONE!, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Li Ching Chao
(1084 - 1151)
- Heather Burns