Sir Henry Wotton
Sir Henry Wotton, and Serjeant Hoskins Riding On The Way
Ho. Noble, lovely, vertuous Creature,
Purposely so fram'd by Nature
To enthral your servants wits.
Wo. Time must now unite our hearts:
Not for any more deserts,
But because (me thinks) it fits.
Ho. Dearest treasure of my thought,
And yet wert thou to be bought
With my life, thou wert not dear.
Wo. Secret comfort of my mind,
Doubt no longer to be kind,
But be so and so appear.
Ho. Give me love for love again,
Let our loves be clear and plain,
Heaven is fairest, when 'tis clearest.
Wo. Lest in clouds, and in differring,
We resemble Seamen erring,
Farthest off, when we are nearest.
Ho. Thus with numbers interchanged,
Wotton's Muse and mine have ranged,
Verse and Journey both are spent.
Wo. And if Hoskins chance to say,
That we well have spent the day,
I, for my part, am content.
Sir Henry Wotton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sir Henry Wotton, and Serjeant Hoskins Riding On The Way by Sir Henry Wotton )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- To drive a point, i collect pebbles and .., RIC S. BASTASA
- I follow the smoke, and sigh, RIC S. BASTASA
- Unchanging To Exchange Blame, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Have Fun! Why Not?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Respecting Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- where you belong..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Our Divine Differences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sense Of Being Directionless, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Desert, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Living on, The Princess is