HOW long it seems since that mild April night,
When, leaning from the window, you and I
Heard, clearly ringing from the shadowy bight,
The loon’s unearthly cry!
Southwest the wind blew, million little waves
Ran rippling round the point in mellow tune,
But mournful, like the voice of one who raves,
That laughter of the loon!
We called to him, while blindly through the haze
Uprose the meagre moon behind us, slow,
So dim, the fleet of boats we scarce could trace,
Moored lightly just below.
We called, and, lo, he answered! Half in fear
We sent the note back. Echoing rock and bay
Made melancholy music far and near;
Sadly it died away.
That schooner, you remember? Flying ghost!
Her canvas catching every wandering beam,
Aerial, noiseless, past the glimmering coast
She glided like a dream.
Would we were leaning from your window now,
Together calling to the eerie loon,
The fresh wind blowing care from either brow,
This sumptuous night of June!
So many sighs load this sweet inland air,
’T is hard to breathe, nor can we find relief:
However lightly touched, we all must share
This nobleness of grief.
But sighs are spent before they reach your ear;
Vaguely they mingle with the water’s rune;
No sadder sound salutes you than the clear,
Wild laughter of the loon.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seaward to____ by Celia Thaxter )
- My Ego & my Wife, Laxman Rao
- Seed of Revenge, Oduro Bright Amoh
- In The Blue, Spiritwind Wood
- Love me when I am afraid to lust, Nancy Handabile
- Chilled Petal, Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- Yes, We Are Nigeria, Onwuasoanya FCC Jones
- 1960, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Days Gone, Spiritwind Wood
- Spark of a thought, Laxman Rao
- A Judgmental Society, Savino Terrazas
Poem of the Day
- Nettles, Vernon Scannell
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet 14 - If thou must love me, let it.., Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY, Vivek Tiwari
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)