HOW long it seems since that mild April night,
When, leaning from the window, you and I
Heard, clearly ringing from the shadowy bight,
The loon’s unearthly cry!
Southwest the wind blew, million little waves
Ran rippling round the point in mellow tune,
But mournful, like the voice of one who raves,
That laughter of the loon!
We called to him, while blindly through the haze
Uprose the meagre moon behind us, slow,
So dim, the fleet of boats we scarce could trace,
Moored lightly just below.
We called, and, lo, he answered! Half in fear
We sent the note back. Echoing rock and bay
Made melancholy music far and near;
Sadly it died away.
That schooner, you remember? Flying ghost!
Her canvas catching every wandering beam,
Aerial, noiseless, past the glimmering coast
She glided like a dream.
Would we were leaning from your window now,
Together calling to the eerie loon,
The fresh wind blowing care from either brow,
This sumptuous night of June!
So many sighs load this sweet inland air,
’T is hard to breathe, nor can we find relief:
However lightly touched, we all must share
This nobleness of grief.
But sighs are spent before they reach your ear;
Vaguely they mingle with the water’s rune;
No sadder sound salutes you than the clear,
Wild laughter of the loon.
Celia Thaxter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seaward to____ by Celia Thaxter )
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ광교오피녀 ⓑ사당오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- L.Messi 오피뷰 광교오피 KTwiz 사당오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- Fruit Cocktail in Light Syrup, Amy Gerstler
- Racism, Kenneth Maswabi
- Idling mind., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Using Both Sides Of A Brain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- hakuna matata, Luv Artem
- Silent Horizons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Continuing Inspiration, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A.Blok, Three letters - 1- translation (.., Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- November, Thomas Hood
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Letter from Italy, Joseph Addison
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 January 1820 – 28 May 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)