HOW long it seems since that mild April night,
When, leaning from the window, you and I
Heard, clearly ringing from the shadowy bight,
The loon’s unearthly cry!
Southwest the wind blew, million little waves
Ran rippling round the point in mellow tune,
But mournful, like the voice of one who raves,
That laughter of the loon!
We called to him, while blindly through the haze
Uprose the meagre moon behind us, slow,
So dim, the fleet of boats we scarce could trace,
Moored lightly just below.
We called, and, lo, he answered! Half in fear
We sent the note back. Echoing rock and bay
Made melancholy music far and near;
Sadly it died away.
That schooner, you remember? Flying ghost!
Her canvas catching every wandering beam,
Aerial, noiseless, past the glimmering coast
She glided like a dream.
Would we were leaning from your window now,
Together calling to the eerie loon,
The fresh wind blowing care from either brow,
This sumptuous night of June!
So many sighs load this sweet inland air,
’T is hard to breathe, nor can we find relief:
However lightly touched, we all must share
This nobleness of grief.
But sighs are spent before they reach your ear;
Vaguely they mingle with the water’s rune;
No sadder sound salutes you than the clear,
Wild laughter of the loon.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seaward to____ by Celia Thaxter )
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.43, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ v.42, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.41, Monk E. Biz
- Conflict, SALINI NAIR
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.40, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.39, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ v.38, Monk E. Biz
- Changes, Tex T Sarnie
- Mankind, Tex T Sarnie
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ v.37, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)