“Redemption” does it come with a sell by date!
If it does I fear I’m already too late!
See I’ve done my bit of blasphemy disrespectfully
But I’ve turned over a new leaf - oddly.
So, I query my past transgressions in earnest:
I’ve made many mistakes and was never ablest.
Does “redemption” have its own lock and key?
I know the jailer looking in the mirror is me.
A two edge sword is each personality,
Forgiveness is a fine bottled whisky.
Once you’ve open it you want to drink it dry,
Limits forgot then your ego, you espy.
Like sailors after an arduous journey,
On their shore leave winking at the honeys going by.
I ask myself is it a port in a storm…
This “redemption” why, does it leave me lukewarm!
I guess I don’t have it, and never will,
Walk in the strait-path of this obscure treadmill.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Redemption by Mark Heathcote )
- The Chance, Michael McParland
- Going Home, Douglas McClarty
- I AM THE DRAGON, Philo Yan
- Let us welcome, hasmukh amathalal
- First In My Life, Latha Krishnan
- Cheenti ki maut (Hindi) चींटी की मौत, S.D. TIWARI
- Even If You're Not A Poet, Call You That.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Truly Love you, Michael McParland
- The Third Person, Latha Krishnan
- This Body And This Mind, Neela Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)