“Redemption” does it come with a sell by date!
If it does I fear I’m already too late!
See I’ve done my bit of blasphemy disrespectfully
But I’ve turned over a new leaf - oddly.
So, I query my past transgressions in earnest:
I’ve made many mistakes and was never ablest.
Does “redemption” have its own lock and key?
I know the jailer looking in the mirror is me.
A two edge sword is each personality,
Forgiveness is a fine bottled whisky.
Once you’ve open it you want to drink it dry,
Limits forgot then your ego, you espy.
Like sailors after an arduous journey,
On their shore leave winking at the honeys going by.
I ask myself is it a port in a storm…
This “redemption” why, does it leave me lukewarm!
I guess I don’t have it, and never will,
Walk in the strait-path of this obscure treadmill.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Redemption by Mark Heathcote )
Did you read them?
- Languid leman, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Tweet-tweet! I Visited a Hamlet with a G.., Harindhar Reddy
- PURITY OF SNOW., Terry Collett
- What If You Had No Beliefs? NONE!, Mr. Nobody
- Love or Sex?, Md. Ziaul Haque
- The founder is his movement's soul., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Rickshaw and the Puller, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Dreaming of Things While I Remain In My .., Rohit Sapra
- Facebooker, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Kidultnap, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Peace. A Study, Charles Stuart Calverley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(c. 600 BCE)