“Redemption” does it come with a sell by date!
If it does I fear I’m already too late!
See I’ve done my bit of blasphemy disrespectfully
But I’ve turned over a new leaf - oddly.
So, I query my past transgressions in earnest:
I’ve made many mistakes and was never ablest.
Does “redemption” have its own lock and key?
I know the jailer looking in the mirror is me.
A two edge sword is each personality,
Forgiveness is a fine bottled whisky.
Once you’ve open it you want to drink it dry,
Limits forgot then your ego, you espy.
Like sailors after an arduous journey,
On their shore leave winking at the honeys going by.
I ask myself is it a port in a storm…
This “redemption” why, does it leave me lukewarm!
I guess I don’t have it, and never will,
Walk in the strait-path of this obscure treadmill.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Redemption by Mark Heathcote )
- Se(lection), Tony Adah
- Octopus, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fill Yourself, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moving Along Avenues, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Gift, Michael McParland
- Between Silence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Transcending Life On Earth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Hare And His Wife, Tony Adah
- Pussy So Good, Joseph Rodriguez
- Novel Approaches, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)