Our Neo-Hippy Daughter
We've just received an email
from our daughter.
who suddenly went off to Guatemala
with a nice young man she hardly knows at all
on some exotic Mayan trail.
She's in San Pedro de la Laguna -
a lovely spot, they say - where tourists
(so the Lonely Planet web-page tells us)
have been attacked quite recently.
We suffer, as my parents must have done
when I bummed my way round Mexico
with bushy hair and jeans and plastic beads,
embarrassingly long ago.
History, then, seems to repeat itself,
down generations which are keen for change.
The only major difference seems to be
that this time round WE lose the sleep!
Robert Melliard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Neo-Hippy Daughter by Robert Melliard )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- No Need..., Mallika Achuthan Menon
- I've Found Love At last, Masereka Amos
- FOR A FATHER AND SON, Phil Soar
- Burying His Own, Masereka Amos
- the life ring doesn't fit, Mandolyn ...
- Unspoken Harmony, F. J. Thomas
- 1969, Angela Khristin Brown
- Haiku: Lessons Taught To Me By Women, Brian Johnston
- 42, Angela Khristin Brown
- Marvin Gaye, Angela Khristin Brown