Our Neo-Hippy Daughter
We've just received an email
from our daughter.
who suddenly went off to Guatemala
with a nice young man she hardly knows at all
on some exotic Mayan trail.
She's in San Pedro de la Laguna -
a lovely spot, they say - where tourists
(so the Lonely Planet web-page tells us)
have been attacked quite recently.
We suffer, as my parents must have done
when I bummed my way round Mexico
with bushy hair and jeans and plastic beads,
embarrassingly long ago.
History, then, seems to repeat itself,
down generations which are keen for change.
The only major difference seems to be
that this time round WE lose the sleep!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Neo-Hippy Daughter by Robert Melliard )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Decisions Decisions, Ronald Chapman
- Jane Kha Kha Tu Bas Gya…………………………, sonali kumari
- The Last Lie, Bruce Weigl
- December (Acrostic Poetry), Ronald Chapman
- Prophecy in Action, Terrance Tracy
- Worshiping Apollo, Daniel Brick
- Bahaki-Bahaki Bate…………………….., sonali kumari
- May, Bruce Weigl
- Har Pal Bas Tum Hi Ho………………, sonali kumari
- Desire, IBRAHIM YEKU