Only In Fancy
Only in fancy i see Caherbarnagh
And climb up through the bracken to Gortavehy lake
And only in fancy i hear the robin singing
On the windswept hedgerow in the grey of daybreak.
And only in fancy i can see the jackdaws
Flying to chimney pipe with sticks to build their nest
And in the river hear the dipper singing
The dark brown water bird with the snow white breast.
Only in fancy i can hear the dark rooks
Cawing on the tall trees as the sun goes down
And behind the fog the old hill it is hiding
As shades of darkness creep above the town.
It has been awhile now since i heard the old stream
Babbling in the fields and along by the hedgerow
Through familiar places it winds on it's way
As down to the river it ever does flow.
And only in fancy i hear the grey crow
Cawing on a tall tree in a field far away
But in that far place where my face was familiar
I well might be seen as a stranger today.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Only In Fancy by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Two Books For Each Person, Is It Poetry
- Moment, Vanessa Parodia
- The Broken Heart, kashif khan
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
- The Peasant, kashif khan
- Insanity Of Control, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Barren Future, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Big Pharma, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns