Only In Fancy
Only in fancy i see Caherbarnagh
And climb up through the bracken to Gortavehy lake
And only in fancy i hear the robin singing
On the windswept hedgerow in the grey of daybreak.
And only in fancy i can see the jackdaws
Flying to chimney pipe with sticks to build their nest
And in the river hear the dipper singing
The dark brown water bird with the snow white breast.
Only in fancy i can hear the dark rooks
Cawing on the tall trees as the sun goes down
And behind the fog the old hill it is hiding
As shades of darkness creep above the town.
It has been awhile now since i heard the old stream
Babbling in the fields and along by the hedgerow
Through familiar places it winds on it's way
As down to the river it ever does flow.
And only in fancy i hear the grey crow
Cawing on a tall tree in a field far away
But in that far place where my face was familiar
I well might be seen as a stranger today.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Only In Fancy by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Yes, it is my death, gajanan mishra
- I wish I could, Gouda Moon
- SEEKING YOU.., kunjubi varghese
- NOSTALGIC MEANDERINGS...., kunjubi varghese
- Strangers, brian naugher
- INVITATION.., kunjubi varghese
- SPLENDOURS OF LOVE, kunjubi varghese
- What Is, Is What's Done, Katherine Nordhaus
- WHEN THE BELL TOLLS, kunjubi varghese
- WHY DID YOU COME THEN, kunjubi varghese
Poem of the Day
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- November, Thomas Hood
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Friendship, Kennedy Phadima
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)