Non-Possession is One-Tenth of the Law
Do not travel over vast distances.
Stay home and contemplate your neighbor,
the old woman who roams up and down the street.
She can never remember who you are
or who she is, for that matter.
This way, you will protect
your precarious sense of self.
Ruin your appetite before dinner.
This will ensure that you'll never feel hunger.
Play the same tune over and over,
driving everyone else crazy.
This protects you from unpredictability.
Find large articles of clothing
and wrap them around the trees,
so you will be as one with nature.
Fill your shoes with rocks
to ensure a suitable measure of gravitas.
Hide precious items from yourself,
then forget where you have hidden them.
This will promote non-attachment to things.
Make yourself dizzy by spinning around
so that the world will seem more steady.
Put all of your chairs in one room.
Sleep standing up. Move the refrigerator
into the bedroom and at night read
by its light. Rub with things,
not against them. Use pain to distract
a sore spirit. You will then be dreamier,
full of strength, able to bark at stars.
[from The Drift of Things, The Figures Press, 2001]
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Non-Possession is One-Tenth of the Law by Terence Winch )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Nature Is My Sanctuary, Peter S. Quinn
- Sometimes Mysteriously, Luis Omar Salinas
- The Winter Wind., Tony Adah
- Untouched Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Early Death, Luo Zhihai
- Flying, Michael Webb
- Alone..., Luo Zhihai
- Soul in anguish, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- Nature and five elements, Deepak Ahuja 2
- Trust, Deepak Ahuja 2