Shiv Kumar Batalvi
My friend, it is my own sorrow
That has destroyed me.
It is a lie to think
That your love had the strength to do it.
I have no complaint against
Heat or drought.
My garden was destroyed
By the dews of spring.
It is not the fault
Of the black night.
The ocean was defeated
By its beloved moon.
Who is it that
A man is destroyed,
By his birth.
The sun that rises
Is certain to sink.
He lies who says
The west destroyed it.
Yes, one can be destroyed
By grieving for dead friends,
Though it is more likely the result,
Of the display of that grief.
The enemy is not the murderer,
I tell you.
Shiv was killed
By those who loved him.
Shiv Kumar Batalvi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Friend by Shiv Kumar Batalvi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- TRUST COMMITMENT & LOVE, Tom Zart
Poem of the Day
- Interviewed, Nassy Fesharaki
- What Can The Heart Do If It Falls In Lov.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Gypsy Songs, Ben Jonson
- A hope that is not available, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- INSTRUCTIONS TO LIFE, Michael P. Johnson
- An English Girl, So Beautiful And Lovely!, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Peace, hafiz qasim
- While Strolling Down the Beach Today, Kenn Nesbitt
- I Am A Don, I Am A Don. Yes, Boss, You A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- In a Nutshell, hafiz qasim