Music Swims Back to Me
Wait Mister. Which way is home?
They turned the light out
and the dark is moving in the corner.
There are no sign posts in this room,
four ladies, over eighty,
in diapers every one of them.
La la la, Oh music swims back to me
and I can feel the tune they played
the night they left me
in this private institution on a hill.
Imagine it. A radio playing
and everyone here was crazy.
I liked it and danced in a circle.
Music pours over the sense
and in a funny way
music sees more than I.
I mean it remembers better;
remembers the first night here.
It was the strangled cold of November;
even the stars were strapped in the sky
and that moon too bright
forking through the bars to stick me
with a singing in the head.
I have forgotten all the rest.
They lock me in this chair at eight a.m.
and there are no signs to tell the way,
just the radio beating to itself
and the song that remembers
more than I. Oh, la la la,
this music swims back to me.
The night I came I danced a circle
and was not afraid.
Anne Sexton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Music Swims Back to Me by Anne Sexton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Talk less and try to realise, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- No hide I bother when play begins, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The shorter the stronger...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- I'd like to meet your dragon, Dean Meredith
- Mera Rahnuma, Bano Ali
- Something about You, Dean Meredith
- Bubonic Terrorism, Gianni Pansensoy
- Shades of Ultraviolet Rays, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Heartbeat, Edgard Canales P
- TO MY BEST FRIEND, Hriata Sailo