U Win Kyi
Mother Day (Good Son And Daughter Are True Treasure)
We had a father,
who died much earlier,
leaving young our mother,
as a widow,
with much sorrow.
He also left her a small box of jewels,
which she had to sell,
piece by piece,
for her children's need,
for our sickness to seek,
a doctor for relief,
for our hunger to feed,
with a willing heart indeed,
for our bodies physically to grow,
for our education, she had a seed of knowledge to sow,
finally the jewel box became a hollow.
so for money she had to borrow.
Some handsome men made her heart leap,
but ' never remarry ' a promise to her husband, she keeps,
Missing him made her....hurt so deep,
wiping her tears every night in silent weep..
One day, money was in urgent need,
she could not make both ends meet,
with her heart painfully bleed,
she went to a pawn shop,
because for loving us, nothing could stop,
to borrow money with her wedding ring,
so sorrowful like her heart pierced by a bee sting.
Then she worked in a factory for shitty night shift,
though back-breaking she endured the hardship with a true grit.
But she was happy to see us growing bodily, mentally, spiritually fit,
regarding us the God's gift.
One after another, we went into work force,
earning salaries as a steady source,
for her wedding ring, we saved money to redeem,
so that she could smile with a gleam,
because it was our turn to treat her like a queen,
Now the wedding ring returns and dwells on her finger,
not for a moment but forever,
making her happier and happier,
knowing that her sons and daughters are a true treasure.
For trading her wedding ring with a million, she would say ' no '
because it is her husband's token of soul.
(A tribute to single mothers)
U Win Kyi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mother Day (Good Son And Daughter Are True Treasure) by U Win Kyi )
- Tread, read!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Against A Stone, Edward Kofi Louis
- Master of Plaster, Tom Higgins
- Tread, thread!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Father Dearest., Tom Higgins
- Are We There Yet?, Tom Higgins
- Poles, Edward Kofi Louis
- Fictional Love, Stacey Austin
- Too Late Again., Tom Higgins
- Cutting my losses., michael walker
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)