I woke, my hands dreaming on her thighs
the sun in the window, Morning Glory,
a robin in the holly.
Seems an age since last we kissed
memory's yesterday lingered
fresh as new mown hay.
She was sleeping so I thought,
does not stir as I raise my head
to touch her tempting breasts, but
she was woman and not asleep,
those breasts are proffered.
She looked at me and smiled
I drew my hand from dreaming
tried to move away, her thighs
closed round the welcome palm
so we lay as yester' eve.
I loved the soft silk gown,
thought I felt it now.
In the night my love slipped the dress.
Butterfly out of its chrysalis,
seeking the morning glory,
wings expanded wanting flight and me.
The sun rose high, no longer in the window
the robin too has gone his way.
Sunday bells rang out, their noisy cries ignored,
another day perhaps, perhaps another day.
John Rickell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Morning Glory by John Rickell )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Dafur crisis, Lubinda Lubinda
- Boy vs girl, Mark Heathcote
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda
- Human Nature, Merton Lee
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Two Little Boats, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- The Golden Swan, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation