Elizabeth Eleanor Siddal
Lord May I Come?
Life and night are falling from me,
Death and day are opening on me,
Wherever my footsteps come and go,
Life is a stony way of woe.
Lord, have I long to go?
Hallow hearts are ever near me,
Soulless eyes have ceased to cheer me:
Lord may I come to thee?
Life and youth and summer weather
To my heart no joy can gather.
Lord, lift me from life’s stony way!
Loved eyes long closed in death watch for me:
Holy death is waiting for me –
Lord, may I come to-day?
My outward life feels sad and still
Like lilies in a frozen rill;
I am gazing upwards to the sun,
Lord, Lord, remembering my lost one.
O Lord, remember me!
How is it in the unknown land?
Do the dead wander hand in hand?
God, give me trust in thee.
Do we clasp dead hands and quiver
With an endless joy for ever?
Do tall white angels gaze and wend
Along the banks where lilies bend?
Lord, we know not how this may be:
Good Lord we put our faith in thee –
O God, remember me.
Elizabeth Eleanor Siddal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lord May I Come? by Elizabeth Eleanor Siddal )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- Much more powerful, gajanan mishra
- Lahoo, Lahoo Ek Dastaan, Yasmeen Khan
- Thoughts While Waiting in the ER, Donal Mahoney
- Graduate school first semester: so here .., Cheryl Savageau
- Toll of human safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I am not ready to say I am unfortunate, gajanan mishra
- Yesterday's Snow, Marilyn Lott
- Ego, Denise Duhamel
- Life and Heaven, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Rain Song, Khaled Mattawa