Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev
Dear girl, your cheeks are soft and tender,
And your breasts, like little hills, are slender,
Fall in love with me and from this instance
We will never live apart in distance.
My piragua, we will board together,
And the wind will set our sail untethered.
Should you wish to ride an elephant, dear,
I will be your loyal karnak there.
Should you turn into the moon one evening,
I’ll become a cloud so to be near you.
Should you be liana of the jungle
I will turn into a bird or a monkey.
On the mountain peak you climb, my dear,
Looking into the abyss with awe and fear
Even if they put my feet in irons,
I will climb that peak despite all tyrants.
Yet my skills are useless for tomorrow
I am destined for a bitter sorrow.
You don’t love me; so I soon start perish
Like a bull deprived of juicy daisies.
With no single kiss that I could cherish
On that cheek of yours so fresh and rosy.
Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Laos by Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Poet's Right, Francie Lynch
- Act 1 scene 1 Romeo, Juliet and there me.., lee fones
- Look East (Regional), Ronald Chapman
- Homage to the Korean Comfort Women (Regi.., Ronald Chapman
- cos the blues, ' TAKES ' - redline bluel.., sEaN nOrTh
- Emptiness, Ronald Chapman
- A Wonder to be Seen on the Han River (Re.., Ronald Chapman
- A Moment's pause, David Whalen
- Almost Forever, Ronald Chapman
- Ice Queen - Yuna Kim Homage (Regional), Ronald Chapman