When beauty breaks and falls asunder
I feel no grief for it, but wonder.
When love, like a frail shell, lies broken,
I keep no chip of it for token.
I never had a man for friend
Who did not know that love must end.
I never had a girl for lover
Who could discern when love was over.
What the wise doubt, the fool believes--
Who is it, then, that love deceives?
Louise Bogan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Juan's Song by Louise Bogan )
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Jugnoo, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Bit Of Sleep, Michael P. McParland
- A Billion Years, Michael P. McParland
- Obsessive/Oblivious, Michael P. McParland
- that smelly stuff that gets real and som.., Mandolyn ...
- The Rice Eaters, Tony Adah
- Epilogue, Lawrence Beck
- broken wing, Cee Bea
- Planet Control, Joseph Archer
- My Struggle, Michael P. McParland
- Nervous Wreck, Michael P. McParland