The twentieth century has often fooled us.
We've been squeezed in by falsehood as by taxes.
The breath of life has denuded our ideas
as quickly as it strips a dandelion.
As boys fall back on biting sarcasm,
so we rely for safe defense
on an irony not too suppressed,
not too naked either.
It has served as a wall or dam
to shield us against a flood of lies,
and hands have laughed as they applauded,
and feet sniggered as they marched.
They could write about us, and we've allowed
them to make movies of this scribbled trash,
but we have reserved the right
to treat all this with quiet irony.
In our contempt we felt superior.
All this is so, but probing deeper,
irony, instead of acting as our savior,
you have become our murderer.
We're cautious, hypocritical in love.
Our friendships are lukewarm, not brave,
and our present seems no different from
our past, so cunningly disguised.
Through life we scurry. In history,
like any Faust, we've been prejudged.
With Mephistophelian smile, irony,
like a shadow, dogs our every step.
In vain we try to dodge the shadow.
The paths in front, behind, are blocked.
Irony, to you we've sold our soul,
receiving no Margaret in return.
You have buried us alive.
Bitter knowledge has made us powerless,
and our weary irony ironically
has turned against ourselves.
Translated by George Reavey (revised)
Yevgeny Yevtushenko's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Irony by Yevgeny Yevtushenko )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1924 - 2000)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Mark Strand
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Arrivals, Maylee Bossy
- TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS, Eugene W. Miller
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Bell, Ralph Waldo Emerson
- On Pain, Khalil Gibran
Poem of the Day
- Nine Views of the Huangshan, Paul Hartal
- Trying to Say Goodbye, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Autumn, Leong Ming Loong
- Colors, Tom Squires
- वक्त का तकाजा है vakt ka takaaja hai, hasmukh amathalal
- A Lesson Learnt, Leong Ming Loong
- Pleasantries (Ghazal), Akhtar Jawad
- In love power, hasmukh amathalal
- Arrivals, Maylee Bossy
- Companionship, Leong Ming Loong