In Early Spring
O Spring, I know thee! Seek for sweet surprise
In the young children's eyes.
But I have learnt the years, and know the yet
Mine ear, awake to silence, can foretell
The cuckoo's fitful bell.
I wander in a gray time that encloses
June and the wild hedge-roses.
A year's procession of the flowers doth pass
My feet, along the grass.
And all you sweet birds silent yet, I know
The notes that stir you so,
Your songs yet half devised in the dim dear
Beginnings of the year.
In these young days you meditate your part;
I have it all by heart.
I know the secrets of the seeds of flowers
Hidden and warm with showers,
And how, in kindling Spring, the cuckoo shall
Alter his interval.
But not a flower or song I ponder is
My own, but memory's.
I shall be silent in those days desired
Before a world inspired.
O dear brown birds, compose your old song-phrases,
Earth, thy familiar daisies.
The poet mused upon the dusky height,
Between two stars towards night,
His purpose in his heart. I watched, a space,
The meaning of his face:
There was the secret, fled from earth and skies,
Hid in his gray young eyes.
My heart and all the Summer wait his choice,
And wonder for his voice.
Who shall foretell his songs, and who aspire
But to divine his lyre?
Sweet earth, we know thy dimmest mysteries,
But he is lord of his.
Alice Meynell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Early Spring by Alice Meynell )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Full recitation, hasmukh amathalal
- Dread, Leong Ming Loong
- Stars, 1000 Miles
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai