If You Have Your Own Heroes
If you have your own heroes well that suits me fine
But your sort of heroes will never be mine
For you sort of heroes they chase a football
And stories of their greatness you often recall.
Suppose we must differ for to disagree
Those ordinary to you they are heroes to me
My heroes don't play sports and their praises unsung
Sometimes hero worship is wasted on the young.
We used to be good mates but that seems long ago
And apart from each other we did seem to grow
But our different ideas will not bring us to blows
We go our own way that is life I suppose.
'Tis great lubrication for the tongue the beer
Such rubbish spoken in pubs one is obliged to hear
We make heroes of sports stars though they seem ordinary
Though we all look at life one might say differently.
If you have your own heroes with me that's okay
We all look at life in a different way
We used to be good mates but that is in the past
And few things in life ever do seem to last.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If You Have Your Own Heroes by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- سأعطيك النهار الجميل, مالك حداد
- Everyday Options, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- يجب أن نقتل الليل, مالك حداد
- Is any other God equal to Thillai Sabapa.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- World Of Our Own, Adewale Ajakanri
- Metaphor of life, SALINI NAIR
- The flouted wealth, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Another Day Ends, Damian Murphy
- Energetic Nature, Aftab Alam
- مختارات, سي محند
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Sunday Morning, Louis Macneice
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)