I Want to Pray
In the hidden part thou shalt make me to know
wisdom. Psalm 51
That young man
firing his Kalashnikov
into the playground
has been made to know
the hidden part.
Me, I want to pray.
I’m on my knees.
But all I am is screaming
I don’t know what for. Maybe
the best God can do is pay no mind.
Brooks Haxton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Want to Pray by Brooks Haxton )
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Negro Mother, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Choices, Nikki Giovanni
- Cake, Roger McGough
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(November 9 - 1937)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)