I Knocked my Head Against the Wall
As a child
I put my finger in the fire
As a teenager
every day I would knock my head against the wall.
As a young girl
I went out through a window of a garret
to the roof
in order to jump.
As a woman
I had lice all over my body.
They cracked when I was ironing my sweater.
I waited sixty minutes
to be executed.
I was hungry for six years.
Then I bore a child,
they were carving me
without putting me to sleep.
Then a thunderbolt killed me
three times and I had to rise from the dead three times
without anyone’s help.
Now I am resting
after three resurrections.
Anna Swirszczynska's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Knocked my Head Against the Wall by Anna Swirszczynska )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- সময়(Time), Avik Datta Gupta
- Lieu Time, Francie Lynch
- When The Heart Bleeds, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
- Many Crooked Cops are Shooting and Killing, Hebert Logerie
- My First Love, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
- To Record What Is Kept, Naveed Akram
- Rumour, Humphrey Bryant
- BLACK SHEEP, Bironga Chadwick
- Tomorrow, Humphrey Bryant
- Blackberry And Apple, Humphrey Bryant