I Don’t Know if I Could Love
I don’t know if I could love
Whose life I’d touch: no push or shove
Give my all, strength from above
I don’t know if I could love…
How can I tell you what you need
Your hungry heart and spirit, feed?
Who will comfort, who will lead
Our lives are not our own.
Could our ascent now begin
Where solace lives to bead sad rain
From guilt and passions’ flooded tears
Hope on hope, cast off all fears
The riptide of life’s currents
Bleeds anguish of grief-stricken souls
Remnant of joy locked hidden
Secrets and dreams inscribed upon
Unfaithful lips that lied
Hearts betrayal forfeits our goal.
Laced within our cryptic essence
Depth of spirit: hidden chasm
Who sees the broken hearts’ pretense,
Tears once flowing as our own?
The glass opaque- who can discern
Our dark reflections
Face to face?
Did we avow to live by love’s light?
Forgiveness heals to make whole
Reclaim the joy foolish words have ridden
And live those dreams spoken upon
Faithful lips that kiss Truth’s purest gold.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Don’t Know if I Could Love by Marck Riggins )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 July 1793 – 20 May 1864)
(October 13th 1990)
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1320 – 1392)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Tiger, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- General Gordon, the Hero of Khartoum, Max Plowman
- Limerick-73, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- MOTHER, KASINIVENTHAN MUTHURAMALINGAM
- The Monkey, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Krampus, Ima Ryma
- For My Love, Sandra Feldman
- I love To Run, Patrick Sant
- My Exploding Stomach, RUBAB ATWAL
- The Lifelong Comrades, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- LAST TIME, Terry Collett