How to make a fist?
Could you make a fist, not to box,
the faces of the suspicious characters,
from the middle eastern and tropical shores?
Could you make a fist in the wee hours,
Of the morning to pick up the tooth brush,
To clean the tiny utensils in the mouth,
Could you make a fist without feeling the pain,
That pokes as the thorns in the flesh,
Before making a fist, stretch your fingers apart,
Keep your hands together and look up to the Lords,
Say the prayers whatever you desire,
Then move one finger forward, now right thumb in front,
Followed by the left thumb, slowly clasp those fingers,
Now you can look up to the sky, searching for the signs,
You may see the cross, crescent moon and the holy trinities,
Keep those fingers in the same position and flip as the fish do,
Don’t pressurize the fingers and the points where they touch,
Slowly twist your hands as you do when you hip dance,
Do it for a minute or two, now release your hands,
Keep your fingers apart and then slowly make a fist,
Is it still painful, reduced or the same?
If it is boring clasp the hands of your partner,
You can spread, clasp and flip as told earlier.
What was easier once may become tougher,
But the hearts always soften it to be subtler.
veeraiyah subbulakshmi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How to make a fist? by veeraiyah subbulakshmi )
Did you read them?
- Ego Control, Ali Faisal
- Coming Home, Randy McClave
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)