This havoc is destroying my days
as torrents of strife erode
all hope from my soul.
I scream in silence
and weep at its echo
while I rage in vain.
I search both the heavens
and the depths
for the illumination of hope
only to find darkness
enveloping my horizon
and shadows of what was
from my yesterday.
The winds that once billowed my sails
toward the calmer seas
now betray me with iniquity
as they force me toward
this maelstrom of damnation.
I threw my anchor of prayer
only to loose it to the waves
with no absolution found
to steady my course.
Through this endless barrage
I barter my strength for sanity
most often just loosing both
to the turbulence of the tides.
I once sailed life's sea on hope
now I'm sinking to the depths
of its hopelessness
with no lifeboat in sight.
© Joey Jones 3/2013
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hopelessness by Joey Jones )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(8 December 1943 -)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Busy man, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Where Love Falls, Kyle Schlicher
- You Are Like The Moon, Kyle Schlicher
- Saranè, Gianfranco Aurilio
- Sex Sonnet, Luis Estable
- Ripping A Seam, Saiom Shriver
- You Are My World, Gillu Rahul
- The Hype Is Gone, Tony Adah
- Bug Religion, Saiom Shriver
- A Gratitude to My Unseen Friends, Akhtar Jawad